German Student Visa Process
Posted By: Bhargavi | Post on: Feb 12, 2022, 11:50:28 AM | Reading Time:
*German Student Visa*
A step-by-step guide to help Indian students apply for a German student visa.
● By law, every non-EU national must get a visa to enter Germany for stays more than 90 days. That said, Indian students must primarily get a Student & Language course visa to be permitted to study in Germany.
● As soon as the University of your choice in Germany sends you an admission letter you have to reach the German embassy located near your local residence in India.
You must apply for a visa at the local German embassy in your country, and obtain a German Student Visa to be able to enter, stay and study in Germany.
According to the intended duration of your stay in Germany, German visas are divided into:
● Short-term Visa
● Long-term Visa
As a foreign student, you will have to stay in Germany for more than six months, therefore you need to apply for a Long-term visa which is known as a 'D' Visa.
German Student Visa Requirements
Indian students must submit the following documents when applying for a German student visa:
● A valid passport. – Note that your Indian passport must have been issued within the past 10 years and its validity has to extend at least 12 months after the scheduled return.
● An application form was filled out properly. – You can download it from the website of the German embassy/consulate you will apply at.
● A copy of your Indian Passport. – Format A4
● A cover letter. – Explaining the purpose of your visit.
● A letter of admission from a German Institution.
● The payment of university fees (if applicable).
● Proof of language proficiency. – English or German depending on which language is your course taught.
● Proof of financial means. – To cover the cost of living in Germany. You can prove the required financial capacities by means of a blocked account.
- €10,332 deposit confirmation at a German Blocked bank account.
We suggest opening a blocked bank account with Fintiba. Fintiba is a German company and is officially approved by the German Federal Foreign Office, as well as the German embassy/consulates in India.
● Proof of health insurance. – To cover your medical needs in Germany (Initially you can purchase travel health insurance in India to cover you for at least three months which should suffice to arrive in Germany and enroll on your course.
How to Apply For a German Student Visa?
Here are the steps to apply for a German Student Visa:
1. Locate the closest German Embassy or Consulate
- Search for an embassy or a consulate near you
2. Review the Requirements and Procedures
3. Set up a Visa Appointment
4. Have all of the Visa Application Documents Ready
5. Prepare for your Visa Interview
- You should pay the visa application fee ( €75.00) and have the payment confirmation with you at the time of your visa interview. After the interview is done, you will get the official answer whether your visa has been approved or rejected.
Making Your Visa Appointment at the German Embassy/Consulate in India
You have to book an appointment at the German embassy to submit your student visa application. The appointment can be arranged online or through a telephone number. To do so, check the embassy’s website to apply online or get the contact number.
** Listed below are the six German embassies in India and eligible applicants:
- Visa Application Center Bhutan – Bhutanese and third-country legal residents in Bhutan.
- German Embassy, New Delhi – Citizens of these Indian states: Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir, Punjab, Rajasthan, Sikkim, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand including the Union Territories of Chandigarh, NCT of Delhi, Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep including Minicoy and Amini.
- German Consulate General, Chennai – Citizens of Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Telangana, and Pondicherry.
- General Consulate General, Bengaluru – Citizens of Karnataka and Kerala.
- German Consulate General, Mumbai – Maharashtra, Gujarat, Goa, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Daman, and Diu.
- German Consulate General, Kolkata – Citizens of West Bengal, Bihar, Jharkhand, Orissa, Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, and Tripura.
Germany Study Visa Fees for Indian Students
Indian students applying for a German student visa are charged certain fees.
The table below shows current fee costs for German D-Visa in India:
Type of Visa
Visa Fee (Rupee)
Visa Fee (Euro)
National Visa (under 18 years old)
National Visa (over 18 years old)
Germany Student Visa Processing Time:
German embassy/consulates in India have a heavily loaded work agenda and you might have to wait several months before getting a second appointment. Don’t expect them to deviate from their daily workflow just to focus their whole commitment on you.
Track Your German Student Visa Application:
The good thing about applying for a German student visa in India is that you can track your application at any time. Usually, the website of VFS in India has a separate page where you can seek information about the processing stage of your application. To have access to this page you need your Reference number and your Last name.
The processing time of your application may vary between 15 to 60 calendar days depending on the embassy’s workload and the need for scrutinizing checking. Commonly it takes about 10 working days after the submission or after the interview.
But, keep in mind that additional documents may be required and this may account for a further delay. At the maximum, you’ll receive a response 60 days after your German student visa submission.
All the Best for your Visa !!!